Saturday, February 8, 2014

Asian American Comparative Collection Newsletter

Last week I received a copy of the December 2013 Asian American Comparative Collection newsletter from Amanda Halverson at Caxton Press. The newsletter is edited by Priscilla Wegars, Ph.D., an author and volunteer curator for AACC housed at the University of Idaho in Moscow.

I was moved by the last paragraph of the publication announcement included on page 2: "Powerful and uplifting, Minidoka: An American Concentration Camp, serves as a splendid example of the triumph of the human spirit over absolute injustice. It will be an asset to any personal or institutional library." I had hoped readers would get a sense of the spirit of the people.

My path has yet to cross with Priscilla Wegars even though we live only a few hours apart. I admire her scholarship. She wrote Imprisoned in Paradise: Japanese Internee Road Workers at the World War II Kooskia Internment Camp  (2010), among others. I drove that stretch of U.S. Highway 12 when I lived in Missoula, Montana, and my husband worked in Walla Walla, Washington. The area is serene and pristine but I did not stop to try and locate the former internment site.

Last July, HuffingtonPost.com, an online news source, posted a story by Nicholas K. Geranios headlined: "Kooskia Internment Camp Discovered in Mountains of Idaho." Wegars was interviewed and included in the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment